Wednesday, July 14, 2010

We Hate It Because We Need It - Auditions

Did you know local actor John Kuntz has a blog? And he is blogging quite a bit lately. For those outside our Boston environs, John is the type of person to which you apply the phrase "scary talent" and you are being completely serious.

John is a talented actor, actor, playwright and solo performer.

Here he talks about the necessary process of auditioning - in particular, one audition where the auditor was basically a no-show and some people had to leave:

So, he was about THREE HOURS LATE. And we all just stood there and waited.

Because when you come right down to it, really, we are powerless.

They have us, and they know it, and they can treat us like cattle, because really that's what we are to most of them. And, unfortunately, we come to expect that.

I never heard back from them, either. Not an apology, or an offer to re-schedule, or anything.
That's the really demoralizing part: I felt as though I wasn't worth calling back.

I was a dime a dozen to them, so there was no need.

Because they knew that the next time they called me, IF they called me, I would be crawling back on my hands and knees to do it all over again.

And that's when a little piece of my soul dies.


While you're at it, check out some of John's other posts. I welcome him to the blogosphere!

No comments: