Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Sound of One Patron Clapping?

Natasha Tripney, writing in the Guardian, attends a fringe show where she is literally the only in the audience:

There are eight cast members. Eight people on stage and just me sat watching them, wondering quite where to look, where to aim my eyes. When one performer stepped forward to deliver a monologue, my instinct was to meet his gaze but then I thought might prove distracting – so I settled on staring in a vaguely mid-torso direction.

1 comment:

Aaron Riccio said...

It's funny; Helen Shaw's recent review of "Great Hymn of Thanksgiving/Conversation Storm" over at TO:NY also touched on the fear of actors outnumbering audience. Thankfully, this hasn't happened to me yet . . . hopefully, after I've reviewed a show, it won't ever occur again. It's optimistic naivety that makes me hope that the former won't happen and the latter will.