Friday, September 26, 2008

Best of Recovery to Nicky Martin

Dan Bourque, a Boston Director, just brought this Playbill online story to my attention:

Nicholas Martin, the artistic director of the Williamstown Theatre Festival who has most recently been in rehearsals for the Lincoln Center Theater production of Noah Haidle's Saturn Returns, suffered a minor stroke Sept. 25.

A Lincoln Center Theater spokesperson told Playbill.com that the director is "resting comfortably and after rehab is expected to make a full recovery."


I hope Mr. Martin makes a speedy recovery and send my sincerest best wishes.

2 comments:

Thomas Garvey said...

What a shock! I, too, will be hoping for that full recovery. Thank you for posting this, Art.

Daniel Bourque said...

It's worth noting, and I think says a lot about arts coverage here in the Boston area that nobody in the press has even mentioned this occurring. You'd think a figure as important as Martin to Boston theatre over the last few years would, oh, I don't know merit at least a few words in the major papers... but there's been nothing so far as far as I can see. Surely the arts editors at the Globe scan Playbill each morning, or is that simply to much to ask? Todd's blog at the Huntington mentioned it on Friday morning a little while before yours, but I didn't see it because it isn't updated that frequently (when it is, I'll note I rather enjoy what is written there) and I don't go there every day. I wasn't always the biggest fan of Martin's work (see my dissenting response on "She Loves Me" over on The Hub Review) but he's unquestionably a great director- one of the finest working today and a man who has had more then a little to do with the fortunes of Boston Theatre over the last few years. It's a shame that the press here in Boston is so solipsistic and otherwise preoccupied as to neglect informing the general public about this- there were Huntington subscribers in my office that I told at work on Friday who fell in love with the theatre during his tenure and were quite shaken by the news. Again, the lack of any mention of this in the news speaks volumes about the value that the local press places in covering the arts.