Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Snark of the Day

Roger Ebert has a couple of zingers in his review of Death Race:

Hitchcock said a movie should play the audience like a piano. “Death Race” played me like a drum. It is an assault on all the senses, including common.

(...)

And the warden of the prison is Hennessey, played by Joan Allen. Yes, that ethereal beauty, that sublime actress, that limitless talent, reduced to standing in an observation post and ordering her underlings to “activate weapons.” She has a line of dialogue that employs both the f-word and the s-word, and describes a possible activity that utterly baffles me. It is a threat, shall we say, that has never been uttered before and will never be uttered again. She plays her scenes with an icy venom, which I imagine she is rehearsing to use in a chat with her agent.

3 comments:

Rob Kozlowski said...

Hence Ms. Allen's return to the Broadway stage next spring.

Thomas Garvey said...

"And the warden of the prison is Hennessey, played by Joan Allen."

I'm intrigued by this casting choice! Art, did you ever dream Joan Allen would be playing you in a movie? I mean you and Joan are obviously both pretty "ethereal," but her screen presence hardly seems a good match for yours - you're just "sublime" in a totally different way. And what crazed screenwriter would have you dropping "both the f-word and the s-word" while describing "a possible activity that utterly baffles me"? Still, they got one thing right: "prison warden" isn't too far from your current role on the Net! ;-)

Art said...

And what crazed screenwriter would have you dropping "both the f-word and the s-word" while describing "a possible activity that utterly baffles me"?

One that may have been in earshot of me trying to fix a track vehicle during a snowstorm in the Churwon Valley, Korea circa 1994. Not one of my more ethereal moments. But I would pay good money to see Ms. Allen recreate it.