Saturday, June 28, 2008

Osborne and Youth?

The Orfeo Group here in Boston, a young, very talented group of equity actors is putting on Look Back in Anger, and now the New York Times reports on a small group of Equity actors who are breaking their backs, and their banks, to stage a production of Epitaph for George Dillon in the Big Apple.


Now don't get me wrong, being a theatre buff I am certainly appreciative of being able to see these plays in production, but I am a little surprised that these young troupes, especially if they are trying to connect to emerging audiences, should be leaning so hard on John Osborne.

Could a Regional revival of The Entertainer be far off?

1 comment:

Thomas Garvey said...

I'm with you. I'm hardly an Osborne fan, and thought "Look Back in Anger" a poor choice for Orfeo. (That said, it's a creditable version, and it IS free, for those who want to investigate the play without risking any money.)

I likewise find "The Entertainer" a bore - I'm a bit curious about "Luther" and "A Patriot for Me," but rest assured, that's only a bit curious. With so many interesting plays available, why the sudden interest in Osborne?