Friday, April 25, 2008

Geoff Edgers Catches the Gawker

Gawker author Richard Lawson took a swipe at the ART on his blog.

Geoff Edgers of the Boston Globe was interested in Gawker's assessments, but finds out that Mr. Lawson, really didn't have that much of a leg to stand on:

I asked Lawson, via e-mail, how he developed his anti-crush on the ART. Though several exchanges, it became clear he actually didn't know all that much about the company. For example, he saw a play at the ART when he was 14 and "that made me want to do theatre, which I ended up majoring in at Boston College."

A few more e-mails, a bit more detail.

Lawson's parents, he said, do have season tickets to the ART. But
he had only seen one show there in the last two years, "bobrauschenbergamerica," and that one wasn't the ART's. (Anne Bogart's SITI Company presented the play.)

1 comment:

Thomas Garvey said...

I found Edgers's post a little strange, to say the least. Here is the comment I sent in:

Sorry, but I think this post raises a lot more questions than it settles. The ART did pretty much dissolve its company (Robert Woodruff once told me that was indeed his intent, to focus on international productions, so I have it from the horse's mouth), although said ensemble wasn't "famous," and whether or not the theatre "suffered a downfall in quality since" is debatable - the ART has often put up a rather poor show, given their resources. Yes, I know, Robert Woodruff's productions were (usually) better than the ART average, but still, that average! (And said average was often held up not just by Woodruff's shows but by imported productions like far side of the moon and The Syringa Tree.) So Gawker is hardly entirely wrong.

But what's really interesting about this post is Gideon Lester's comment regarding the ART's "resident company." Following that link I find over a dozen actors listed, instead of the usual four (Remo Airaldi, Thomas Derrah, Will Lebow and Karen MacDonald) - only aren't a lot of these people actually members of the Theatre de la Jeune Lune, with which the ART has co-produced some operas? And isn't Jeremy Geidt actually retired? I'd find Lester's statement more believable if the ART had an Artistic Director or a clear direction, but given that it doesn't, I find it hard to credit the claim that it has more than tripled its permanent acting company.