Monday, April 07, 2008

Anon Comments

The recent dust-up between Bill Marx and Thomas Garvey has brought forth more anonymous commenters than I have had in a while.

I thought I would state the policy of this blog on anonymous comments:

I appreciate them and I will post them.


If you want to get a little edgier and thornier, that's fine too, but be on topic. At a certain threshold, I will make a judgement call. What is the threshold? It is pretty wide, but at a certain point if you are going to be walking the line between the issue and a personal shot you probably shouldn't be doing that from blogger anonymity.


If you want to make general personal comments or get a little nasty about other critics or bloggers, completely off topic, you can do that all you want on their sites. Thom Garvey, Bill Marx and Nick at RatSass all have comment features active at their blogs.


Of course, you can always start your own blog: It's free, easy, and you have a potential audience of billions! (Whereas, at my site, you are limited to maybe 80 people a day.)

3 comments:

Thomas Garvey said...

Sorry, but they can't abuse me on my site, they'll have to abuse me on your site; I turned off anonymous commenting a while back - the e-transom was just too horrifying. There are few ironies more depressing than that of the anonymous poster roused to indignant anger by the supposed conceit, or arrogance, or whatever, of my posts, who then unleashes a craven torrent of vitriol far nastier than anything I've ever written, or would ever write. It's somehow creepy, like watching a vicious animal snap at you through the bars of a cage it has built itself. And forget about trying to hold yourself above the fray (that only means you're more conceited than ever), and don't imagine being proven right will pacify them - in fact that only drives them crazier. Slowly one realizes that many of one's readers are horrible people, and that all those corny old saws about the mask of civilization are, well, only too true. It's nice when one does manage to connect with someone else over cyberspace, but I certainly don't write for my readers - I write as a way to keep in contact with as much art as I can, and to blow off my own steam about the incompetence of what I read written about it. That so many creeps follow my blog is actually the downside of the operation. Of course, switching off the anonymous commenting helps me pretend they're not there.

Art said...

Sorry to Thom, Bill and Nick, I think that last sentence didn't come off the way I meant.

I didn't mean to say it was O.K. to abuse people on their own sites.

nick@ said...

“I certainly don't write for my readers - I write as a way to keep in contact with as much art as I can, and to blow off my own steam about the incompetence of what I read written about it.”

Thom,

Of course you write for readers, even if the primary reader is Thom.

I like the way you categorize the Anonymous Coward. I also think of them as vicious little poodles, but their leash and

I have the IP and email address of anyone commenting under a pseudonym at Rat Sass. So they could be hunted down, but I doubt that would ever be necessary. As the sometimes “voice of the mob” or gossipmonger they can be instructive in a limited way.

I don’t welcome the Anonymous Coward, but I do tolerate the scumball.