Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Washington DC


I went down to visit a friend who was in the Capital Fringe Festival this past weekend. I didn't get to take in many shows, but I did get to see my friend in the Madcap Players entry, Local Story by Kristen Palmer.


I also caught an appropriately fringey entry by Infinite Stage, Hamlet, That is the Question!, in which 6 clowns deconstruct the Bard's masterpiece. It is everything you think it would be, but that is not neccessarily a bad thing. There are some inspired bits:



  • Ophelia drowns herself by sticking her head in a mop bucket.

  • The clown playing Polonius forgets his lines and so reverts to cracking open cookies to read the little fortunes.

  • When the ghost asks Hamlet to "swear," the clown prince cheekily lets rip off some four letter words while shamefully admitting, "it's childish, I know."
  • The rest of the clowns underscore Hamlet's internal debate with an a capella rendition of Queen's Under Pressure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming to our little show! We had a great time, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

-Colleen Harris, member of Infinite Stage

Art said...

Thanks for the show.