Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Vacation...Joyce, Melville, and Woody Allen

I was off on a four-day weekend to Nantucket. No internet. No Cell Phone. Just beach and ocean.

Great time with wife and family.

I brought along Ulysses and came about one hundred and fifty pages shy of finishing it. In between, I also read In The Heart of the Sea; The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex. Which is a gripping account of the true incident that inspired Melville's Moby Dick.

I also watched Woody Allen's Match Point, which gave me too many creepy feelings about how Allen's mind must by working over the notorious events of his own life. People talk about how "this isn't a Woody Allen film". Au contraire... the fingerprints of Allen, (the man and the artist,) are present on this film to the point of distraction.

No comments: